My Book

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

DEPRESSION & ISOLATION

  1. Today I am going to talk about depression and isolation. For those of you that don't know, isolation is a major factor with depression. It is what happens when someone is severely depressed or is becoming severely depressed. In fact, isolation can be a tell tale sign to watch for if you suspect someone you care about might be depressed. Isolation is when someone shuts off interaction with the entire outside world. They won't leave the house, won't take any phone calls, they stay home from work or school, and probably stay closed up in the bedroom for long periods of time. This is also when the negative self talk begins. It is this, "phase of depression," where I came up with the name for my book, "It's The Depression talking." Because it IS the depression talking, it's the depression telling you to stay closed up in your room, it's the depression telling you not to interact with anyone. It's the depression telling you that being alone is better. Believe me, I have visited that place many, many more times than I ever care to think about. The need to isolate could be a reaction to a specific event, feeling to stressed in our everyday lives, or possibly a sign that our medication needs to be adjusted. Whatever the reason, it is in isolation that we become our own worst enemy. In isolation we cross over from wellness to that sick, dark place where all the bad stuff happens. When you suffer with severe depression isolating yourself is downright dangerous and it's exactly the complete opposite of what you need to get better. Everyone needs time to themselves once in a while. So how does someone predisposed to depression take time for themselves without isolating? I suppose that depends on the person and the severity of their depression. You know yourself best. For example, I feel the bedroom is bad place for me. I can easily slip into another depression if I spend to much time alone there and the harder it is for me to come back out. I suggest regenerating by talking to a good friend and having a few good laughs, take a long peaceful walk alone, sit at a desk and write in a journal. Be very proactive, learn the signs of a potential episode coming on, know what triggers you. Take notice of feeling tired and wanting to be alone. Again, wanting to spend time alone is not a bad thing, it is when you ONLY want to be alone that should be of concern.

No comments:

Post a Comment