My Book

Friday, January 16, 2015

EMPLOYMENT & MENTAL ILLNESS

Employment and mental illness, a controversial topic, for sure. The other day I read that, Rand Paul, a republican senator, is claiming that the social security system is broken because to many people with, "Backaches and anxiety," are getting a check every month. Now, I realize there are people cheating the system. I know there are people out there collecting a monthly check and working under the table for cash. However, I am not talking about those people right now, and neither is this, "Rand Paul," person. I am talking about the specific group of people he targeted -- US!! I am sure most of you who come read my blog are afflicted with mental illness in some form or another. I, personally, have suffered tremendously with both anxiety and back issues. I suffer much more with major depression than anxiety, but I certainly have my fair share of major anxiety, as well as anxiety attacks. So, I do know what it entails. This senator says, "Everybody gets a little anxious before work, join the club!" (With a giggle from his audience.) I have heard these politicians say some pretty asinine things before, but this one takes the cake, by far!! The form of anxiety that keeps one from not only holding a job, but leading a somewhat "normal" life, isn't the anxious someone gets before they might have to speak in front of co-workers, or present a big project to the big wigs. Obviously, Mr. Paul, didn't do his homework. Anxiety disorders are crippling. Anxiety disorders prevent people from living. An anxiety attack strikes without any warning, at anytime, anywhere. And when it happens to you alone, in a public place, it feels like death. Well, let me retract that, it feels like death even if you aren't in public. It becomes so debilitating people can't leave their house for days, weeks, even months at a time, due to the fear and worry of anxiety. It is extreme impending fear. And once that happens to you, believe me, life is never the same again. I know Mr. Paul is now getting blasted all over the place for his comment, and rightfully so! But, as we all know so well, there are many that think the same way he does. Because of their lack of knowledge, I am devoting the next 3 blog sessions to them! I will blog only about anxiety for the next 3 days. Come back tomorrow folks and send all the uneducated this way!! Any of your comments are WELCOME! Anything in particular you want me to include? EMAIL ME: itsthedepressiontalking@gmail.com





No comments:

Post a Comment